Huntington Place launches new guest experience department
Media Contact: Mary Klida
DETROIT— July 20, 2023 – Today, Karen Totaro, general manager for Huntington Place/ASM Global, is pleased to announce a new department of Guest Experience with Detroit native Gloria Redmond at the helm.
With more than 20 years of experience, Redmond’s training and service philosophies provide a concierge, well-rounded experience for employees and guests. She believes that having a human approach to communication and decision-making will positively impact goal achievement in any organization.
“Gloria is the perfect fit with her warmth and curious nature," said Karen Totaro, general manager Huntington Place/ASM Global. "She has already been making positive impacts and we know she will help us raise the bar for the entire industry.”
As the venue reopened for business after the COVID-19 pandemic, Huntington Place leadership reformulated the company culture:
Our Goal is very simple, to be the best convention destination in the world.
Who we are
We are a team of passionate Detroiters who love to share our amazing city with everyone who visits. As hospitality ambassadors we are proud participants in the resurgence of Detroit. Our character is authentic and our service is genuine.
What we believe
We care greatly for our guests and for one another. Our diversity is our strength. We respect one another’s talents by working together and we aspire to create lasting memories for every visitor to Detroit.
How we succeed
We succeed by creating an environment with trustworthy, enthusiastic and caring people who embrace change. We work together as one very determined team focused entirely on the success of every event. We are only satisfied if we have exceeded expectations.
“Since business is rebounding from COVID we are finding we excel at partnering with our customers and making sure they know we are there for them," said Totaro. "Gloria is a key part of building that culture of consistently exceeding our customer’s expectations.”
Redmond launched the new Guest Experience Department by understanding the Huntington Place customer service philosophy through:
- Participating in focus groups, one-on-one meetings, and department meetings to capture thoughts on customer service from the team.
- Partnering with departments to experience the specific jobs done within the building.
- Reviewing and managing the ASM Global Survey (Insights) program for exhibit organizer and attendee (QR Code) feedback.
- Evaluating customer service styles, and how communication with employees and guests is conducted.
- Engaging employees in the process with participation in planning, micro learning sessions and recognition of milestones.
Next steps were born from rigorous strategic planning that incorporated input from this assessment. The future of the department will be built by:
- Developing metrics to monitor and assess customer service and overall organizational success.
- Managing, tracking, and analyzing complex and escalated customer service issues involving multiple departments and partners.
- Assessing and evaluating guest experiences and developing initiatives designed to create a guest-centric culture across all partnership organizations.
- Collaborating with the executive teams of Huntington Place, DRCFA, Sodexo Live!, Visit Detroit, and their respective partners to maintain an inspiring and successful guest focused work environment.
“At Huntington Place, where “the people make the place,” we focus on guest experience, relationships, and successes,” said Totaro. “We aim to help each visitor feel that returning to Detroit is like coming home, that welcoming feeling of acceptance and comfort where people can be who they are and excel at what they do.”
About Huntington Place
With 723,000 square feet of exhibit space, Huntington Place, Detroit’s convention center, boasts one of the largest contiguous exhibit floor spaces in North America and has the largest ballroom in Michigan with 40,000 square feet. It is a LEED Gold certified venue and has received numerous industry awards for excellence including the 2020 USGBC Leadership Award for Building Performance, making it the only convention center in the history of the award to receive it. It is the 16th largest convention center in the United States. Visit online at huntingtonplacedetroit.com
About ASM Global
ASM Global is the world’s leading producer of entertainment experiences. It is the global leader in venue and event strategy and management—delivering locally tailored solutions and cutting-edge technologies to achieve maximum results for venue owners. The company’s elite venue network spans five continents, with a portfolio of more than 350 of the world’s most prestigious arenas, stadiums, performing arts venues, and convention and exhibition centers, including McCormick Place Chicago; Moscone Center San Francisco; ICC Sydney Australia; Olympia London; Shenzhen World China; and P&J Live in Aberdeen, U.K. Visit online at asmglobal.com